Date:      16 Aug 1999 00:58:41 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
To:        Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@ddsecurity.com.br>
Cc:        Mikko Grönroos <greenie@mpoli.fi>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel/SMC Ultra etc.

Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@ddsecurity.com.br> writes:

[on the question how to configure a kernel]

> cd /sys/i386/conf/
> cp LINT MY_KERNEL_NAME
> /* This dir contains files you should edit to have a personal kernel./*
> vi MY_KERNEL_NAME

While this is technically correct, I think for a novice it is a bad
idea to start with the LINT configuration when building a kernel.
The LINT configuration contains many, many more options than
necessary for a running system, and this will be very confusing for
someone who isn't *really* familiar with the meaning of all these
options.

I'd recommend starting with the GENERIC configuration. I always do
the following for each item:
  (1) If I don't know what this option or driver/device does, I
      leave it in place or I look it up in LINT and continue with
      step (2).
  (2) If I am not really sure if I need it, I leave it in place.
  (3) If I know it and I know I will never need it, I delete it from
      my configuration.
  (4) If I know that I don't need it, but may need it some time, I
      comment it out.
  (5) If I know that I need it, I leave it in place.
If I then can't find the option or driver I need, I look into LINT
to locate it and copy the entry.

When building the first custom kernel, the GENERIC configuration has
the prime advantage that it is guaranteed to work -- after all, this
is the kernel you booted the currently running system from. (If you
by chanced booted any other kernel, use that configuration to start
with.)

If you are not sure you fully understood the process of configuring
and building a kernel, you can for a start copy the GENERIC
configuration, change only the "ident" directive to the name your
configuration should have, and configure, build, install, and boot
this kernel as described. If the name you chose shows up on boot
(and with ``uname -v''), you are on the right track so far.

> /* Edit this file to suit your needs */
> config MY_KERNEL_NAME
> cd ../../compile/MY_KERNEL_NAME
> make depend && make && make install & reboot
                                      ^
This should, of course, be a double ampersand as well.

--
Juergen Nickelsen