Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 23:14:54 +0100
From:      Ian J Greely <Ian@tirnanog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Forcing PIO mode in ATA driver.

I need to force freebsd v 4.0 to use the PIO mode instead of the UDMA
33 mode for accessing a hard disk. Is anyone aware of what flags this
requires in the visual configuration section of the CD boot?

My bios will not allow me to disable the DMA mode on the hardware. The
install is failing in writing to the drive during the install.=20

It's a maxtor 8 gig drive as master on the secodary IDE channel. There
is no other device on this channel.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

regards,
Ian