Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 03:27:23 -0400
From:      Anders <gollum@rdc.cl>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First Commands

At 12:48 PM 10/5/98 +1000, you wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 01:11:20AM -0400, Anders wrote:
>>
>> Haha, I've been using FreeBSD for a month now and I still havent used all
>> of those commands :-).
>
>Great! You're exactly the kind of person who has a clear view. Which
>commands do you use most? Which did you find most difficult to learn?
>Is there some command you would like to use but it's hard to understand?

Well I really do not know very much as of yet (read top :-), but like
somebody else said, 'mount' would be a good one to add, my first question
was "how the f%*k do I read a floppy disk!!?"...also, if people are coming
from windows, I suppose it would be nice to know how to be able to mount
another partition, which took me a good 1/2 hour to 'decrypt' from the man
page :)
Other than that, the list is more than I would use in the first day..also
the aliases of 'ls' that come set up automatically, that display file info,
etc, 'll' and 'lf' (i think that's it) were real usefull as well.  I spent
a lot of time figuring out how to get the size of a file before I figured
this out. And while you are at it, for a person who just has installed
FreeBSD, how about 'shutdown' or 'restart'?? It would not be too much of a
good thing to be forced to manually restart the computer and get scary
looking messages about root not being unmounted on startup... :-)

--Just my input.  By the way, what does 'nethack' do?. Sounds familiar :-)

Perhaps I should know what this command does, if they are important enough
to be included in a 'newbie' to-know list .. =P