Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:03:40 +1100 (EST)
From:      Gavin Cameron <gavin@itworks.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFW question

Hi all,

I have the following turned in my kernel on under 4.0-RELEASE

	options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
	options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
        	                                # dropped packets
	options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD      #enable transparent proxy support
	options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    #limit verbosity
	options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT    #allow everything by
	default
	options         IPDIVERT                #divert sockets
	options         IPSTEALTH               #support for stealth forwarding

And if I do the following

	ipfw add 100 divert 23 log tcp from mach1 to mach2 80

Then I think that if I telnet from mach1 to mach2 on port 80 then I expect
to see a telnet session start up.

Am I right in the way that I read the divert line?

I get lines like

	Mar 19 20:57:50 gavin1 /kernel: ipfw: 100 Divert 23 TCP
		mach1:1625 mach2:80 in via ed0

in my IPFW logfiles but I don't see a telnet session.

The test is a precursor to getting FreeBSD 4.0 working with squid 2.3 to
act as a transparent proxy for packets directed to it by an Alteon
CacheDirector. If someone already have a working config (both IPFW and
squid) for this scenario and wouldn't mind parting with it I'd be very
appreciative.

Cheers and thanks,
Gavin

| Gavin Cameron                      |          ITworks Consulting         |
| Ph    : +61 3 9642 5477            |       Level 8, 488 Bourke Street    |
| Fax   : +61 3 9642 5499            |         Melbourne,  Victoria        |
| Email : gavin@itworks.com.au       |           Australia,  3000          |