Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2006 19:38:58 +0400
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: who do you install freebsd without sysinstall?

--smOfPzt+Qjm5bNGJ

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 08:24:45AM -0700, backyard wrote:
> how does cron save entropy??? I've noticed "saving
> entropy files" at shutdown but have always wondered
> what it is using. or does it just read from
> /dev/random?
>=20
# Save some entropy so that /dev/random can re-seed on boot.
*/11    *       *       *       *       operator /usr/libexec/save-entropy

The latter saves some amount of /dev/random for further
seeding.  /entropy is saved by /etc/rc.d/random, when
it stops.

random_stop()
{
        # Write some entropy so when the machine reboots /dev/random
        # can be reseeded
        #

I think two mechanisms exist because a solution involving
cron(8) works better, but cron(8) is not guaranteed to be
up and running (untypical but anyway), so additionally an
entropy is also saved once on shutdown.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov