Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 1996 23:43:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Jim Riffle <jriffle@ns.kconline.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large files in /stand

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Doug White wrote:

> > -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 chmod
> > -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 chown
> > -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 cksum
>
> This is perfectly normal.  /stand is really a gigantic hardlinked binary.
> If you want, you can just delete it if it annoys you.

This isn't normal, to the right of "root" you'll see the link count.
Since the link count is 1, you are using 802k for EACH of these binaries
in /stand.  You should have used tar, dump, or something else instead of
cp to move your root partitions.

> > 18	/stand/info/src
> > 37	/stand/info
> > 43884	/stand
> >
> > This isn't a real problem, but I sure could use those extra 40 megs it has
> > claimed.
>
> No, it's more like a meg or so.  It's counting each binary as 802k, which
> they aren't.

Actually du will 'do the right thing' when you have hard-linked binaries.
Yours is showing 40M because you are really using 40M.

Sujal