Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:18:43 +0200
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions LIST" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>, "Peter Leftwich" <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Subject:   Re: mtools vs mount

Hi Chad,

>>> in /etc/fstab:
>>> /dev/fd0    /floppy   msdos   rw,noauto,longnames   0  0
>>
>> man mount_msdos snippet:

> [snip]
>
> Yes, everyone running FreeBSD has that manpage--
> without its formatting destroyed by cut'n'paste.

Sorry for that. Didn't get mutt to work nicely with imap until now.

>> And this works:

> Obviously it didn't work for the original poster,
> or they wouldn't have posted the question.

Why it didn't work for the original poster, I don't know, maybe he can
answer this.

> Note that on a *blank* floppy, no long names are found, so short names
> are assumed. So if the archive is put on a blank floppy mounted
> short-name in the first place, then no amount of "mount -l"ing later
> will recreate the long names.

If you would have read the man snippet instead of deleting it, you would
have seen, that longname is the default _except_ only short names are
already found on the floppy, when mounting it. At least that is my
understanding of the man page.

> I don't have any bare DOS machines, so I don't ever use short names;
> therefore, the longnames option in /etc/fstab is more convenient and
> useful. (And it's not in with the -l/-s options in the manpage.)

Seems to be a good idea. The only thing is maybe, that you won't be able
to read the disk on plain DOS? Sorry, I didn't test this, and it
probably doesn't concern many people nowadays.

> If you didn't have anything useful to say to me, don't reply to me. Go
> back up the thread for that.

If a clarification, including the service of the relevant man snippet in
case you can't reach a FBSD machine, where you're reading mails, is a
faux-pas in your opinion, I deeply excuse for having done so. BTW,
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=826558+0+current/freebsd-qu
estions seems to indicate, that I sent my offending message to Peter
Leftwich, just cc-ing C.A. and the list, as I always believed to be good
practice on this list, as you never know, which of the participants in a
thread are subscribed to the list.

Ciao
Siegbert