Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 02:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Allan Saddi <asaddi@philosophysw.com>
To:        Frank Tobin <ftobin@bigfoot.com>, kris@further.com
Subject:   Re: proposed secure-level 4 patch (fwd)

> here is the no-union-mount-in-secure-mode diff and the tcp diff, which
> should both be against -current.

There are still problems with this no-bind-securelevel patch:

  1. It only handles bind requests for tcp. The same modification must be
     done to udp_bind() in udp_usrreq.c *OR* you can perform the check
     in in_pcbbind() in in_pcb.c. See my previous posting for my patch.
     (Which I tested under -stable. Forward-porting to -current should be
     trivial.)
  2. sinp->sin_port is in network byte order. ntohs() should be used on
     it before comparison. Since network order is big-endian, it
     surprises me that this patch works. ;)
  3. As Brian Buchanan pointed out, port 1024 itself is not privileged.

--
Allan Saddi                         "The Earth is the cradle of mankind,
asaddi@philosophysw.com              but we cannot live in the cradle