Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:55:04 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Alex Dupre <ale@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] PHP mega-commit

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 03:00:31PM +0200, Alex Dupre wrote:
> On monday I've planned to commit the new PHP infrastructure.
> Please review the following patches if you are interested:

Which seems to be working very well so far.  Good work.

> In a few words, the old "big" php port has been splitted into "base"
> PHP, PEAR, and shared extensions. Every extension has its own slave port
> and can be installed/deinstalled in a finer way without recompiling PHP.
> Moreover, we can remove all ugly php slave ports created to enable
> extensions (like php4-horde and so on, that cause packaging issues),
> since now a port can depend on a particular set of extensions.
> To conclude, PEAR (devel/php[4-5]-pear) can be used either with CLI or
> with CGI sapi.

One nit: the devel/php4-pear and devel/php5-pear ports.  These are
apparently required in order to use any of the PEAR infrastructure
(or, at least php4-pear is required on a PHP4 system, as I found when
some code of my own suddenly stopped working).

The problem seems to be missing 'WANT_PHP_PEAR' in most PEAR ports --
at the moment only these five include it:

    % find . -name Makefile\* -print0 | xargs -0 grep -l WANT_PHP_PEAR | se=
d -e 's,^\./,,' -e 's,/Makefile.*,,'
    archivers/pear-Archive_Tar
    devel/pear-Console_Getopt
    devel/pear-XML_RPC
    devel/pear-OLE
    security/pear-Text_Password

Shouldn't the devel/pear-PEAR port set WANT_PHP_PEAR in
Makefile.common so that all PEAR ports register that dependency
automatically?  Either that, or WANT_PHP_PEAR should be set
individually by each and every PEAR port.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way