Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 15:05:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "howard.bh" <howard.bh@internetMCI.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Loop back and system name

I am currently attempting to bring the ptolemy signal processing system up under FreeBSD 2.2.1.  I am using FreeBSD in a standalone mode (e.g., not connected to a network).  Ptolemy requires network support, and the recommended work around is to add the host_name to the localhost line in the "hosts" file:
	127.0.0.1		localhost host_name.

When I do this ptolemy does work but it breaks sendmail.  Adding something other than the hostname to the "hosts" file line does not break send mail, but ptolemy does not work correctly either.  If the hostname is added as indicated above it is possible to ping the hostname.  If it is not pinging the hostname fails.

If I include the hostname in the localhost line sendmail return an error to the effect that It has attempted to access an unqualified name.  The name it complains about is the first one
that occurs on the line.  In the example above sendmail complains about localhost, reversing the order will cause it to complain about local_name instead.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to set up my system to either work around this problem or correct it.

Respectfully,

RJ Howard.