Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:24:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Missouri FreeNet Administration <measl@mfn.org>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   syslog: logging via network.

Greetings, and Happy Fat Turkey Time :)

	We are trying to consolodate all of the various
machine logs here, so obviously, syslogd with network
logging is the answer.  Only I cant get it to do this!
I noticed that this was broken in a recent 3.0 SNAP -
is it known to work in the 2.2.5-7 releases?  Just in case
it is...

syslogd is started on the "logging" host with

	syslogd -a 10.0.0.0/8

and the syslog.conf entries all look like:

*.emerg               *
*.emerg               @logger.blah.com

Obviously, we have substituted our addresses with RFC1918 ones..

We have sniffed for UDP packets being sent, but there is none.  The
receiving side at least has a socket open, so that part may be actually
be functioning as expected...

Yours,
J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org