Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 18:46:50 -0400
From:      "Mark S. Reichman" <mark@borg.com>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SETI@home has teams now!

Darren Pilgrim wrote:

> On that note, is there are a way a put a limit on the load a process
> creates under FreeBSD?  It would be great if I could leave S@h running
> all the time under a load limit, then just lift that limit while I'm
> not using the machine.

Yes.  The setiathome process runs by default at a nice level of 1.
All other progs by default run at 0.  So, the seti folks already
have made their process the least damaging.  If you want to
make it the same (0) or higher (-1) than other processes su
to root.  then:

$> renice 0 setiathomes_pid

The lower the nice level, that more CPU a process gets.  Also, do
a :

$> man nice       OR
$> man renice