Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:47:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, tlambert@primenet.com, chuckr@mat.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: elf & compat

> Terry's brain, and the answer is that it doesn't.
>
> What you're missing, Terry, is that you can't build a program that
> requires libgnumalloc.  You can *run* one, but you can't build one.
>
> Since you can't build them, and you couldn't build them for a long time
> before we went ELF, you'll never want to run them (because they don't
> exist).
>
> Please note carefully the scope of the above discussion before
> indulging in a meaningless display of pedantry.

I don't know why you are recently getting off on trashing me, but
the fact that I'm not bringing assumptions to the table should
speak favorably of me, not otherwise.

It's pretty clear that "compat" could be interpreted, as in "libcompat",
in terms of providing compatability code which would otherwise not be
present.  It was *not* obvious, from context, that what we were talking
about was backward compatability to shared libraries of previous
FreeBSD releases.

In any case, I'd appreciate it if, in the future, you read the entire
thread, including my replies (which in this case, clearly stated mea
culpa), before you chimed in on what appeared to be an opportinuty
to jump down my throat.

I am not pleased with the recent souring of the contents of these
lists with people's jaundiced opinions of other people, and I would
be just as happy if the ad hominim attacks would stop, based on the
participants giving the other participants the benefit of the doubt
with regard to their intelligence and/or sanity.

					Thanks,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---