Date:        Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:03:02 -0600
From:      "Shannon Wheeler" <swheeler@altech.ab.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mounting an MS-DOS partition? - Tricky!

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
Date: October 20, 1999 8:25 PM

>>I have a 12G drive and I couldn't get FreeBSD to work in the last half of
>the drive because it only saw 16383 cylinders rather than the 21xxx that
>there actually was. So I put FreeBSD in the first partition and Win95 in
>the second.
>
>Dandy.
>
>>I use a freeware partition manager to select which to boot from here at
>work but at home with the same setup I use fdisk to specify the active
>partition. Windows has no problem booting from the second partition as long
>as it's a primary partition and marked active.
>
>If it works..  I'd use a boot manager, it's easier.

Well it's on a 486 (AMD K5/133. PCI) whose BIOS is not flashable and doesn't
handle the entire 12G properly. I therefore had to use Disk Manager when I
set it up originally (all Win95). If I install a boot manager I lose the
Disk Manager so the BIOS (I guess that'd be where the problem lies) won't
see the second partition and let me boot from it. Therefore I always have to
use fdisk when I want to boot into the non-current OS.

>>I don't know for sure whether this would work if the first partition was
>also a DOS partition but I think you'd have a hard time creating more than
>one DOS partition anyway.
>>

>What's wrong with lots of DOS partitions?

Well, I meant DOS's FDISK won't let you create more than one Primary
Partition.

Shannon