Date:      28 Mar 2001 20:30:05 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The right way to burn CDs ?

Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov> writes:

> I do not feel that there is anything wrong with my drive from a quality
> or ATAPI spec implementation point of view.  I know a lot of non-standard
> hardware can be made to work under Windows with proprietary drivers
> so I would never use the "it works with Windows" argument to make my
> point.  My point was that my drive and others work under Linux with
> open-source software and should be able to work under FreeBSD as well.
> Unfortunately, I do not have the requisite skill to fix the problem so I
> boot into a Linux system when I need to burn a CD.  It is inconvenient
> but gets the job done.  I only hope that the people who do have the
> skill to fix the problem realize that it is a software problem and not a
> hardware problem.
>
> In my opinion, the FreeBSD project can not claim support for ATAPI
> CDR-RW drives in general.  There could be a list of supported drives but
> to my knowledge this does not exist.

I will agree that it is definitely a driver problem. My drives (a
yamaha 8 4 24 and a yamaha 8 8 24) both work fine under Linux and
Windows.

I have been in cotact with the author of Burncd today several times,
and I found him to be pleasant, helpful and responsive. He sent me a
patch to try which failed. I am going to buy a new drive this weekend
(a ricoh if I can find one of the same model that he has told me
works) and send him my personal Yamaha (the other one is at work. I'll
he can write the drivers.

It's not really his fault if the vendors won't release full specs or
if they do things in mental ways contrary to the spec.

Having said all this, I like the ide-scsi emulation system that linux
uses. Besides the fact that it actually works with my drive, there is
also the fact that because you use cdrecord for both ide and scsi
writers, you get all the frontends.

Anyway, I'm giving up on this for now. I'll gladly give up a drive if
I can get help have the drivers written. We'll see from there.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk