Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 10:49:29 -0400
From:      asura <asura@xs3.dyn.ml.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Delayed boot and other junk...

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is a popular question and I do seem to remember reading
somewhere
about some of the causes of this, but no I'm stumped!  I have two machines
exhibiting
the same symptoms-  I have version 2.2.6 with a custom kernel...theses
problems weren't evident until after
I played with /etc/ttys and installed more virtual terminals.  This machine
boots and
then takes a lifetime to load sendmail...after finally getting sendmail
loaded, it proceeds until
it reaches Local Package Initialization:  where it takes an even longer
time...just sitting.
Then some errors are reported,  i don't have them verbatim (sorry) but they
are socket
command on non-socket and something to do with Getpeername errors...
The other machine has a fresh install of 2.2.6 on it and it's sendmail
takes forever too.

These are surprising behaviors to me, knowing that I haven't made any major
changes or typos
in the config files that I *did* edit...(mainly /etc/ttys and /etc/rc.conf)

Both these machines are on an internal net using 192.168.0.* as IP numbers,
ie: the one
with all the problems is 192.168.0.1 and the newly installed but still slow
sendmail init
system is 192.168.0.2-  I have run 2.2.5 on other machines and experienced
the same problem
once with sendmail but none of the problems I have now.

Also it should be of note, I can't ping even localhost, which is listed in
/etc/hosts or the other machine
and I know the physical connection between the two is working!

Help, I'm beginning to think I haven't the cerebral power to truly
understand this fine OS!!!! *laugh*

seriously, thanks in advance for any help and sorry this ended up being a
novel!

-Brian
*

happy to live another day, and loving my delicate flower all the way!

                                  asura9, innocent quake victim...
creative weasel extraordinaire.
not mention: KE4CIL

*