Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:47:18 -0700
From:      jehova <tornadox@telnor.net>
To:        Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: perfection 1650 freebsd

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 00:51, you wrote:
> [...]
> > 7.-installation via "freebsd ports collection from sources"
> > 8.-package instaled: sane-backends-1.0.7.tar.gz
>
> The same for me.
>
> > i have been receiving this:
> > #scanimage
> > scanimage: no SANE devices found
> > #
> >
> > and this (as root):
> >
> > #sane-find-scanner -v
> > [...]
> > sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uscanner0... failed to open
> > (status 4)
> > [...]
> > #
> >
> > or this as normal user:
> >
> > %sane-find-scanner -v
> > [...]
> > sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uscanner0... failed to open
> > (status 11)
>
> Here is the problem. You need to do
> chmod a+rw /dev/uscanner0
> so that normal user can access the uscanner0 device. As i said,
> sane does not work as super user for a reason i don't know. By
> the way you should install the wsane port also, but first
> sane-find-scanner
> should detect the scanner.
> Also don't forget to run usbd. You can do that in /etc/rc.conf
> but you can also run it by hand. As soon as you plug the usb
> jack, you should get a message in /var/log/message (of course
> the scanner has to be powered on before).
>
> > [...]
> > %
> > if you feel that i need to search (look) some place
> > just give me a pointer and i'll go to study
> > thanks for your atention

> > > The perfection 1650 usb is now supported out of the box for
> > > FreeBSD. You have only to edit the config file which comes
> > > with sane. asmodee% cat /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf #
> > > epson.conf
> > > #
> > > # here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON
> > > backend #
> > > # SCSI scanner:
> > > # scsi EPSON
> > > #
> > > # Parallel port scanner:
> > > #pio 0x278
> > > #pio 0x378
> > > #pio 0x3BC
> > > #
> > > # USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON
> > > scanner. It could #               otherwise block your
> > > non-EPSON scanner from being #               recognized.
> > > usb /dev/uscanner0
> > > Of course you need to install the sane port, and run a
> > > kernel with usb support.
> > >
> > > In my kernel config file i have:
> > > # USB support
> > >
> > > device uhci
> > > device usb
> > >
> > > because my motherboard has an uhci device, it may be ohci.
> > >
> > > Moreover you need to run usbd, which will run the module
> > > uscanner.ko on demand. If not you run kldload uscanner.
> > > usbd_enable="YES"
> > > in /etc/rc.conf
> > >
> > > Remember to run xsane as normal user not as root or it will

#################  Well, i do what to tell me and i don't recive
any messages like this:   (status 11)

 %sane-find-scanner -v
 [...]
 sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uscanner0... failed to open
 (status 11)

but this:
$ scanimage
scanimage: no SANE devices found
$
still same,
> Also don't forget to run usbd. You can do that in /etc/rc.conf
> but you can also run it by hand. As soon as you plug the usb
> jack, you should get a message in /var/log/message (of course
> the scanner has to be powered on before).

about above /var/log/messages i get  NOTHING, i mean
plug or unplug usb jack is same as no exist usb activity.
after this i put on   /boot/loader.conf

this last two lines
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
userconfig_script_load="YES"
snd_cmi_load="YES"
uscanner_load="YES"           <------------------This

and reboot my box without any issues, but...same results as i tell
you, what i'm doing wrong? somebody want to add some clue?
any info am i missing TALON? maybe there is a 'blind side',
thanks

--