Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 1996 16:54:29 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using `ping' to diagnose network connections reasonable?

> I'd like to add some code to sysinstall which will attempt to
> `diagnose' a link before accepting the configuration parameters,
> catching a lot of adapter misconfiguration and incorrect data errors
> that sysinstall misses now (to fail less gracefully later).  My
> question is whether or not `ping' is a reasonable way to measure
> connectivity between your host and the gateway & dns machines.  Is it
> reasonable to assume that if a host supports forwarding or DNS
> queries, it will also answer pings?  What if you've got pings blocked
> somehow but allow DNS traffic through?  I wouldn't want to flag a host
> as `unreachable' when in fact it would have worked fine for its
> intended purpose!  That would be worse than no error checking at all.

For the gateway ping is reasonable, for dns we could make a dns query
for the to-level domain or something that will have to work everywhere
for the dns to work at all.

Good idea.

We could even offer to ping the ftp/nfs host before trying and informing
the user about the result so they can choose the optimal server...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.