Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:33:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        dg@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  Hangs on "inode" and "thrd_sleep"

:I ran into the same problem before. If you search the -current archive
:for deadlock, I posted a patch to solve this problem (I should have filed
:a PR for this). There are more serious problems with locking in vm_fault(),
:which are more difficult to fix, see PR 8416 by Tor Egge.
:
:-lq
:
:> My test machine hung last night during 'make -j5 buildworld' with 7 processes
:> in "thrd_sleep" and 2 in "inode".  Thus began a marathon DDB session
:...
:>

    Your patch to vm_fault.c in PR 8416 looks reasonable.  If you have
    an additional patch ( or is the one in PR8416 the one you 'posted' ??)
    I'd appreciate it if you could email it to me.

    In general, a lot of the confusion in the VM system stems from it
    having to effectively bypass vm_object's and special-case vnode
    related ops.  What should really happen is that all VM ops should run
    through the associated vm_object's and the backing store underlying
    those objects should be hidden.  Also, it should be possible to handle
    other VM related deadlocks by locking-through to get a vm_page, lock the
    page, and then hold the lock on the page while releasing all the other
    locks.  The PG_BUSY/vm_page->busy hacks could be used to effect here.
    Fixing this would also solve the lock ordering problem.  I'll put cleaning
    this up on my list for 4.0.

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)