Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:41:01 -0600
From:      Lute Mullenix <lute@vfemail.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_5 vs. RELENG_5_3

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 04:51:13 -0600
Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org> insisted:

{trimmed for space}

> YES!, Its still a tad ruff around the edges but you have to remember
> that FreeBSD (and the other BSDs) has very high standards when it comes
> to system stability, uptime is measured in years not months or days, so
> if they say its ready for production use then it is, also, FreeBSD 5.x
> as a chicken and the egg problem, it needs more people using it to work
> out those ruff edges, but everyone "thinks" it not "ready" so they go
> with 4.x thus adding to problem. Being that FreeBSD 5 is already at 5.3
> were sorta at the now or never point, its time for everyone to just grin
>
> and bear it so we can get this show on the road.
>
> If you don't believe me that FreeBSD works like "running water" then
> have a look at this, all 50 spots are held by *BSD:
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

I have to agree, I have been running 5.3 since it was RELEASEd, and it's
been totally stable, the only real complaint is, that I am having some
problems with port builds. The main one being the panel on xfce4, (sigh)
my preferred desk top. But sound worked right out of the box, and after a
bit of wrestling got Xorg up and running. The only time it's been down has
been for the required reboot for the couple of security updates it's had
so far.

It would be good if people who put more demands on the OS than I do would
use it so any other quirks can be rooted out. In the mean time I will just
use blackbox and keep hoping for the panel on xfce4 to get fixed. On the
other hand I have no intention of ditching FBSD or regressing to an
earlier version. It's working and I can live with it knowing there are
smarter people than me out there making it work better.

--
 Lute

It's OK to be different
FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE