Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 08:48:55 -0700
From:      William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: moving to XFree86-4

On Friday 03 August 2001 08:30, j mckitrick wrote:

> Well, unless there was a subtle config problem I am unaware of.  I
> saw a line in the log complaining about an illegal x86 extended
> instruction, but the program kept running.  It died before opening a
> display.

Did your screen change modes (maybe it went blank, maybe it clicked,
maybe it popped a message up on the screen) before the X server died
and left its ghoulish corpse on your hard drive?

What sort of display hardware are you using?  Doesn't happen to be a
Matrox video card, does it (mine is)?  I tried turning off various
options in the config file, changing bit depths, etc., but had no
joy...  Still works under XFree86 3.3.6 at 32 b/p without a whinge.

Yes, I did search the web (in Lynx, since my X server was not working
at the time) for other people reporting similar problems.  Found a few,
but only questions, never answers.  Feels like an old Chinese riddle.

And maybe we should move this off freebsd-stable, as I wonder how
-STABLE-related this conversation is...

> | (Finally, after reading every one else's posts about how XFree86-4
> | works flawlessly on their machines, let me indulge in a degree of
> | schadenfraude...
>
> Sorry, but what is 'schadenfraude'?

scha.den.freu.de (n) [German, from Schaden damage + Freude joy]:
enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

Being German, it should actually be capitalised.  That's what I get for
writing e-mail so early in the morning.

--
Cheers,
William Richard