Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:47:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      will andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        thyerm@camtech.net.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FW: RE: RELEASE timelines

On 13-Dec-99 Matthew Thyer wrote:
> Consider the 2.2 stream that went through many more releases (counting
> 2.2.1 -> 2.2.8).  Using that yardstick you'd expect 4.0 to stay in
> development until 3.7 is released.   I know 7 releases of the 2.2 stream
> was considerred a few too many but surely we can hold 4.0 back a bit
> longer considerring the age of some of the code.

You may view this as inconsistent, but the fact is that 3.x's development cycle
took far too long (I believe around 2 years). They are trying to shorten this
for 4.0. I could name many significant differences between 3.x and 4.x (bdev,
signals, cardbus, ata, camified aic, and so on), but my favorite would be the
up-to-date compiler. Makes porting certain C++-based programs + libraries a
helluva lot easier. Kudos to David O'Brien. ;-)

I'm running 4.0-CURRENT on this machine. I would not mind seeing "official"
support for 4.0-RELEASE, since I would not be under as much pressure to get
novel programs working with an obsolete compiler..

Great way to kick off 2000... release 4.0-RELEASE on my 18th birthday (March
13, 2000). I'd say they'll be pretty close. :-)

Besides, in the 2 months I've been subscribed to cvs-all, I've seen >7500
commits (~125/day), 95% of which were against -CURRENT. I'd say it's had plenty
of testing. -STABLE is obsolete. You Will Be Assimilated. Resistence is Futile.

=|-)

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>