Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:35:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@megaweapon.zigg.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Joseph T. Lee" <nugundam@la.best.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gratuitous name changes (was: libalias and ident)

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Brian Somers wrote:

: But this isn't necessarily a good idea as it may attract a pile of
: ``why the hell did you break my configuration for no good reason''
: messages.
:
: Anyone with any strong opinions on this ?
:
: Of course it's not guaranteed that libalias will change to libnat,
: there's another thread starting on -hackers about that :-)  It's also
: possible to change the ppp flag, even if libalias isn't renamed.

I winced when I heard that the flag was named -alias in the first
place, since aliasing really is a different animal.  (At least,
that's what they taught *me* in school.) :)

I say, if the change can be made before the -STABLE branch, do it.
People should expect to rewrite a lot of config files anyway.
However, if it's not too much trouble, -alias could be kept
temporarily with a deprecation warning that would display on
invocation.  (Most people, while loath to read announcements and
manpages, would probably think about investigating if their ppp
started beeping and printing annoying error messages on bootup.)

- Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
  Network Administrator, zigg.com <http://www.zigg.com/>;
  Engineer, Nameless IRC Network <http://www.nameless.net/>;