Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 12:38:44 +0900
From:      Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improper sharing of modem bandwidth

Brian,

How hard do you think it is to add the following feature to the
userland ppp?

The issll working group at IETF
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/issll-charter.html)
proposes a suspend/resume style transmission method:
"PPP in a real-time oriented HDLC-like framing".
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-issll-isslow-rtf-03.txt)

The basic idea is that, if a FIFO based serial chip is used, we are
able to control the transmission of each byte so that we can suspend a
low-priority packet in the middle of the transmission.
In the above draft, the frame format and the negotiation format is
defined as an extension to the PPP Multilink fragmentation protocol.

With the packet-by-packet control, the latency is more than 500 ms
over 64Kbps with 1500-byte MTU.
I believe that the latency of telnet will be less than 50 ms even in
the middle of ftp, if the suspend/resume is implemented.

--Kenjiro