Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:43:39 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Applications

At 18:48 16-04-1999 -0500, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>FWIW;
>
>I have had good success having my ports committed for a good reason: my ports
>usually cover a need that many people share. Everyone, for example, wants
to be
>able to use their ghostscript fonts on X.

You mean you can release fonts as ports? I have designed quite a few
PostScript fonts some time ago (not lately, though), so that is something I
am quite interested in. All of the fonts were hand coded (I wrote a font
compiler and a font disassembler for that purpose, although right now it is
on an old computer which currently I cannot take things from).

>I understand committers are also
>volunteers and I don't have any particular interest in pushing them to do
>something about my ports, but the applications that get committed earlier
somehow
>represent general interest of the community.

Oh, I certainly do not mean to push. I would have never mentioned it,
except someone was asking why developers do not write as much software for
FreeBSD as they do for Linux. It occured to me that one of the reasons
might be the way we distribute software via ports.

The system, naturally, takes longer than something like freshmeat. That
does not mean I do not like the system: It has many advantages, and those
outweigh the disadvantages (IMHO). The biggest advantage of the ports
system is that it makes us think twice about releasing software before
being reasonably sure that it works right.

On freshmeat I have sometimes seen several versions of the same program
released on the same day. Of course, to many Linux users that is probably
an advantage, simply because they subscribe to a different philosophy: They
often quote proudly that when they release a piece of software they receive
bug fixes from all over the world within minutes. I personally prefer to
torture my programs before I release them and work out the bugs myself. As
I said, it is different philosophy. I am probably much older than the
average Linux programmer (will be 49 in a week), so I do prefer the FreeBSD
way. (Differences are good, as far as I am concerned.)

> I sometimes look at freshmeat
>myself, but there also so much junk coming in, that I thank we don't carry
all
>that bloat in the, already tight, CDs.

Hehe. You could probably fill a different CD every week if you wanted to
publish everything from freshmeat on it.

I will not comment on much of it being junk because I choose never to
decide what is junk and what is not when it comes to programming. Although
I will admit that I was taught a completely different way of programming
30+ years ago than I see today. Our teacher beat it into our heads (and we
were impressionable high schoolers) that after we write a program, we must
go through it line by line and find the one line we can cut out. After
that, we must go through the program line by line and find the one line we
can cut out, and so on, until, theoretically we end up with one line of
code (we were also assured that would never happen).

I still work like that -- and mostly in assembly language. Some of my
projects take years to finish. Sometimes, after working on a program for
months, I throw it away and rewrite it from scratch. For example, I have
been working on a video special effects generator since 1996. I wrote it in
C++ at first - the first and last thing I did in that language (after I
compiled it to assembly language and saw the overhead, I screamed). I then
rewrote it in assembly language, several times, made it into a Windows DLL
which I never released. Now I am rewriting it, from scratch, for FreeBSD,
and will probably eventually submit it as a port.

>I suggest that you submit the port for the utility and reference the PR
number of
>the library for it in the new PR. No one is interested in committing a
library
>unless it's used for something, and there are many non-committers that
like to
>test the "fresh" ports. There are one or two libraries that I submitted
sometime
>ago in order to build an Rlab port: nowadays I have no interest in porting
Rlab,
>but if I had sent the complete Rlab port, it would have probably been
committed.

OK, how? I prefer releasing the libraries separately from my programs so if
someone wants to write a better program that uses the libraries (I am much
better at libraries than at the programs that use them), I don't want them
to have to list my program as a dependency, only the library.

>OTOH, if the port builds and work correctly don't expect much feedback :-).

Not immediately perhaps. But sometimes people ask you years later if you
are the guy who wrote such and such thing. I created the Avatar console
protocol for Opus BBS over a decade ago, wrote a DOS device driver for it,
a language and a compiler, and things like that, all in assembly language.
I received very little feedback at the time. I kept a very low profile for
many years since, and now that I started getting active in FreeBSD lists, I
started receiving messages from people asking me if I was the creator of
Avatar and thanking me for it and how good it was. It was quite a surprise:
I thought no one would ever remember (I mean, a decade in computer history
is ancient, besides, while it was an improvement, it was nothing earth
shaking) -- I'd probably have continued my low profile had I known this was
going to happen. :-) Still, it's kinda neat - it makes one realize we
programmers make more difference than we admit to ourselves (especially
when one is "old" and remembers the days before computers, when chip was a
piece of wood, hehehe).

Adam

P.S. Anything I post here should be read with an implied "IMHO" at the
start of every sentence - I guess it does not hurt to state that explicitly
every so often.
---
Want to design your own web counter?
Get GCL 2.10 from http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/