Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:27:41 -0700
From:      "Jim Barker" <jbarker1842@my-dejanews.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Scott Mitchell" <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
Subject:   Re: sendmail losing mail

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:14:59   Scott Mitchell wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 23, 1998 at 07:33:40AM -0700, Jim Barker wrote:
>> I have a small problem with not knowing where mail that sendmail is
>> getting from fetchmail is going.  I finally got fetchmail to retrieve
>> mail from my POP3 host and redirecting it to port 25 on localhost.  Now I
>> don't know where it goes from there.  It doesn't seem to be in the user's
>> directory.  A little background:
>>
>> this machine uses user-ppp dialup to ibm.net
>> this machine also uses fetchmail to get POP3 mail
>> localhost:  lunchbox.ibm.net
>> user's name on localhost:  jimbark
>> user's name on POP3:  jimbark
>>
>> jimbark.mc file:
>>
>>         VERSIONID(`lunchbox.ibm.net.mc version 1.0')
>>         OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
>>         FEATURE(nouucp)dnl
>>         MAILER(local)dnl
>>         MAILER(smtp)dnl
>>         Cwlocalhost
>>         Cwlunchbox.ibm.net
>>         MASQUERADE_AS(`ibm.net')dnl
>>         FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
>>         FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
>>         FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
>>         FEATURE(nodns)dnl
>>         define(SMART_HOST, `smtp-gw01.ny.us.ibm.net')
>>         Dmlunchbox.ibm.net
>>         define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`lunchbox.ibm.net')dnl
>>         define(`confDELIVERY_MODE',`deferred')dnl
>>
>> this mc file is how it is reccomended on the FreeBSD FAQ concerning mail
>> and dialup account's.
>>
>> Any suggestion's would be great, thanks.
>>

>Well, unless you've done something weird, mail is locally delivered into
>/var/mail/$USER.  Did you try running 'mail'?

I did not see any subdirectories under /var/mail, such as jimbark.
I did try to run mail, but it said I had no mail.
More appropiately "jimbark has no mail".

>Alternatively, sendmail might (for whatever reason) not know to deliver the
>mail locally - try running 'mailq' and see if your messages are hung up in
>the queue.

As you suggested I tried mailq and then I saw everything
that was downloaded.  So, my next question(s) will be...

Do I have to manually create the subdirectories under
/var/mail, and if so what permission's, owner's, group's,
etc.

How do I get the mail from the queue to the respective
user's.

Thank's for everyone's help, I greatly appreciate it.

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums