Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 2003 01:15:38 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Stefan Malte Schumacher <s.schumacher@netcologne.de>
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade

--0vzXIDBeUiKkjNJl

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 01:56:58AM +0200, Stefan Malte Schumacher wrote:
> Hi
>=20
> I have just run portupgrade -a for the first time. About 2 hours later I
> realized that portupgrade is not only building the port I built myself fr=
om
> /usr/ports but also the packages which I did install from the CD. I do not
> want to build Mozilla or XFree myself, is there a way I can exclude such
> large programs from being updated ? Are installed ports and packages stor=
ed
> in the same database ?

portupgrade has a config file (/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf), which offers=
=20
many config options for you to tweak - including the ability to specify=20
ports to ignore - look for the section about HOLD_PKGS.

Ports and packages keep their install data in the same place, yes -
/var/db/pkg.

> For the next question I just need a pointer to the right documentation ;=
=20
> I would like to read more about using sysinstall to upgrade my system
> instead of "make world."=20

Have you read man sysinstall?  But bear in mind that "make buildworld" was
carefully designed to upgrade the system properly.

> Is there some kind of "packageupgrade" which downloads and installs new
> packages for stuff I do not want to build myself ?=20

The -P or -PP options to portupgrade should work, but read the manpage for
caveats.

HTH

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \