Date:      25 Mar 2002 11:50:51 +1130
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Jorge Aldana <jorge@salk.edu>
Cc:        Willie Viljoen <will@laserfence.net>, Razvan Cremenescu <cremenescu@terrasat.ro>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: my system doesn't recognize the two cd-rom units i have

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 11:38, Jorge Aldana wrote:
> Even more odd I made a boot CD of 4.5-20020322-STABLE and I was able to
> boot from my IDE CD-ROM but then after I configured all the install settings I
> picked DVC/CD-ROM as the install media and I got "CD-ROM not recongnized"?
>
> It obviously can see it as it booted up the CD to begin with, odd thing is it
> can't see it after choosing the install settings, I didn't remove anything or
> add anything from the default devices it uses on the initial boot up?
>
> Anyone else experiencing this?

Soren's ATA MFC broke CDROM detection I believe.

The BIOS still sees the CDROM so you can boot off it, but once the OS
tries to detect it, it fails and so you are stuck in an odd position :)

I believe he is working on a fix for it (and the panic on resume one)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum