Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:06:35 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reclaiming v_data of free vnodes

Seigo Tanimura wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:17:21 -0800 (PST),
>   Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> said:
>
> Matthew>     zalloc subsystem cannot shift loads at all and as a consequence we
> Matthew>     already have problems with the system running out of KVM.
>
> I have read that the zone allocator of Mach has a gabage collector to
> reclaim unused free pages. Was that forgotten to port to FreeBSD?

The FreeeBSD code for the most part has the same API, but
in a lot of places, the underlying code is completely
different.

John made an intentional decision for type stability when
he made the semantic "once committed to a zone, always in
that zone".

Personally, I'd really object to a garbage collector; the
one thing you can be sure of with garbage collectors is
that they will run at the most inconvenient time possible.

-- Terry