Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 04:42:37 -0400
From:      Jim Brown <jpb@sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sis 900 nic problems

* Julian Randall <unixmonk@iinet.net.au> [2002-08-31 16:00]:
> I am using the onboard sis 900 network card in FreeBSD with dhclient. Everytime I run dhclient it gets all of the network details such as my ip and my gateway ip but then reports the error "no route to host". I can't access the Internet at all and it repeats that error every minute or so.
> PS
> The nic works fine in Windows XP Pro

Note: please cut your lines at around 70 chars or so.

Unless the DHCP server is grossly misconfigured, you should also get
a gateway that works on your local subnet.

What do 'netstat -rn' and 'ifconfig' say?  You should be able to tell
if you are receiving a correct default route from your DHCP server
from this info.

Is there any other text mentioned on the line with "no route to host"-
such as a name or IP address.

Also, what does your DHCP server return for DNS addresses- they
should be listed in /etc/resolv.conf.  You should have a route
to your DNS servers (local route or default route).

HTH,
jpb
===