Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:13:58 +0200
From:      Orestis Papakonstantinou <orspap@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VIA RAID controller problem

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Orestis Papakonstantinou <orspap@gmail.com>
Date: Nov 16, 2005 1:11 PM
To: Marcin Simonides <marcin@studio4plus.com>

The problem in my situation is that I am using a laptop. That means that
whether I use RAID 0/1 or just JBOD is the same thing because everything
passes through that RAID controller. It is completely embedded to the
system. My BIOS does not even know that I am using RAID or if it does, it
hasn't got any configuration settings, so that FreeBSD could "look" through
the BIOS. Things get even more complicated if you consider that my laptop
hasn't got a floppy drive. Because even the existing VIA RAID drivers for
Linux are released as an iso for a floppy to be booted from the kernel. So
on a second thought I really cant use FreeBSD on that laptop unless these
drivers are supported in a future release version (embedded to the kernel o=
boot-time). So if any FreeBSD developers are reading this, I would be
grateful if they could embed this RAID controller driver in a future
release. Thanks for replying.