Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 19:08:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu, msmith@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gigabit Ethernet.

SysKonnect (www.syskonnect.com,www.syskonnect.de) as been convinced to
release the documentation for their GENESIS interface ASIC that they use
with the XaQti (www.xaqti.com) XMAC II Gigabit Ethernet controller chip on
their line of Gigabit Ethernet PCI cards.

Currently Linux has support for this device though in a beta fashion and
through a binary library.  There is no FreeBSD support.

FreeBSD already supports the Alteon Tigon 1 and Tigon 2 based devices but
given documentation (check) a willing developer (check) and an example
device ( ), there is no reason FreeBSD can't have support for this line of
devices.

All that remains is for Bill Paul (wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu) to receive 1 of
these devices so he can begin coding.

Bill, as you may know, is the author of many fine fast ethernet device
drivers (And a wireless ethernet driver, and the Alteon gigabit ethernet
driver).  You can find all of his work at http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/
and most of it in a recent -STABLE/-CURRENT tree.  Bill is the reason
FreeBSD now supports nearly every cheap, worthless, trashy Taiwanese
ethernet board on the market. (He'd love to find more well designed
hardware but such hardware doesn't sell for $19.95 at CompUSA.)

Anyhow, as Mike Smith said "Bill has a very high return on investment."

I don't think you'll disagree with this statement given his track record.

What Bill needs:  (as relates to his SK driver efforts that is)

- donations from 1 or many people to The FreeBSD Project so that Mike &
  Jordan can buy him a card (or 2).

- A card.  :)

If you're going to donate a card, please email Bill first to make sure he
still needs one.  His shipping info is at the end of this message.

If you want to donate money please see http://www.freebsdmall.com/donate/
(I'm not sure how this page allows you to specify what the donation is
towards but I gather that the monent there is enough cash available, a
card will be ordered.  If your donations don't end up actually going
towards the purchase of an SK card, they'll probably go against an
Adaptec, or a PNIC II or whatever other new card that Bill needs.)

Card type:

SysKonnect SK-9843 Single Port SC connector SX-Gigabit ethernet

INFO@: http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/products/b0101_ethernet_9843.html
 BUY@: http://www.onsale.com/category/inv/00043095/01530276.htm

	$558.07

-or-

SysKonnect SK-9844 Dual Port SC connector SX-Gigabit ethernet

INFO@: http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/products/b0101_ethernet_9844.html
 BUY@: http://www.onsale.com/category/inv/00043095/01530275.htm

	$1,134.46

Bill only needs 1 card, but it probably wouldn't hurt for him to have
both.  Given the choice b/t cards, Bill has expressed the desire to have
the dual port.  Given the choice between a single port card and no card at
all I suspect he'd settle for the single port.  SysKonnect makes LX fiber
versions of the above cards which are not needed for use in development.
Check the SK part number if your order something.

Shipping info:

Attn: Bill Paul
Columbia University Dept. Of Electrical Engineering
Room 1312 Mudd Bldg.
500 West 120th Street
New York City, NY. 10027

(If you get the impression that I'm just a lackey for Bill then you're
only somewhat right.  Its more of a whiping boy than a real lackey
though.)

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |