Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 2014 15:52:33 -0700
From:      David Benfell <benfell@parts-unknown.org>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>, FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BIOS monitoring goodies ....

--n+lFg1Zro7sl44OB

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 01:00:25PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 04:47:29PM -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> >=20
> >=20
> > .... Linux has myriad tools, utilities, apps, etc. (hddtemp, lmsensors,=
=20
> > jwclock, etc.) for monitoring info from the BIOS &/or OS hardware info=
=20
> > .... Surely there must be some such for FreeBSD, could someone point me=
=20
> > to them :-) ? TIA ....
>=20
> For watching the CPU temperature you've got coretemp(4) for Intel CPUs and
> amdtemp(4) for AMD CPUs. Both report their values through sysctl(8), and =
both
> can be loaded as modules. N.B: they're not built into the GENERIC kernel.
> Just kldload the appropriate module and then do `sysctl -a|grep temperatu=
re`.
>=20
coretemp *does* seem to be built into the GENERIC kernel, or at least
that's what it told me when I attempted a kldload. I had also earlier
looked at the temperatures with a similar command. This is stable/10,
by the way.

For what it's worth, CPU temperatures seem to be entirely reasonable.
When I was running memtest86+, it reported temperatures around 40-45
C. The sysctl command now returns:

hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 27.8C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.temperature: 29.8C
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 40.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 40.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 40.0C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 40.0C

> If you have an ASUSTeK motherboard, the aibs(4) driver gives information =
about
> temperatures, voltages and fan speed.

Appreciated. I have added this to the loader.conf on my notebook.

> You can use smartctl from the sysutils/smartmontools package to monitor t=
he
> health of harddisks. The disk temperature is given as the attribute name
> =E2=80=9CTemperature_Celsius=E2=80=9D when you run `smartctl -a /dev/<dis=
k>`.

This will be the next step (I'm still restoring the ports tree).
Thanks!
>=20
> E.g. the sysutils/conky port can be used as a system monitor.
>=20
I'm short a mouse at the moment, so I can't use X, but as I sort my
way through this, that can happen later.

Thanks!

--=20
David Benfell <benfell@parts-unknown.org>
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you don't understand the