Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:02:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Victor Granic" <vmg@novator.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Is it possible?

Hello,

I have run into the proverbial brick wall.  I am the administrator of
a fairly busy electronic commerce Web site, www.ftd.com.  Because of
the demand placed on a single server, I implemented a load balancing
solution that utilizes NFS in the back end.  The versions of FreeBSD
that I have tested (2.2.7 and 3.0) do not support exclusive advisory
locks over NFS.  Last week I was directed to Terry Lambert's Web page
on the freebsd.org Web server.  He makes available several patches
for the kernel sources that supposedly fix the locking bugs.

I attempted to patch both versions of FreeBSD that I have installed.
On both systems the patch command failed to patch all the required
files and the differences were too great to edit by hand.

My motivation for sending this message is simple.  I am an avid
supporter of free software and open source initiatives. I have used
FreeBSD in the past and I have always had very good experiences
implementing Web servers, and firewalls.  My current project on
the FTD Web site is dependent on locking over NFS.  Is there a
solution to my problem?  Truely, the last thing I would want to do
to solve this problem is to have to purchase a commercial version of
UNIX from Sun or some other behemoth.  This is also my last resort
as I have already posted to the FreeBSD newgroups and mailing lists
without any response to my query.

Thank you,

Victor Granic

--

Victor Granic.................................email: vmg@ftd.com
FTD Internet, Web Admin.........................tel: 416-260-5131