Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 1998 01:07:28 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        abial@nask.pl
Subject:   changing root device...

Hi All,
I am having a bit of trouble getting FreeBSD to run on my system...

I have a DK440LX motherboard, and a SCSI disk.  Using the disk images
located in <ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/incoming/cam-boot.tgz>, I was able to
successfully install.  If I do a fixit, and mount /dev/da0a or /dev/da0s1
on /mnt1.

Unfortunately, when I try to boot without the floppies, I get the following
lines somewhere near where it locates my disk (sometimes it has stuff about
my disk in the middle, sometimes before.  seems to depend on the boot
command):

	Considering FFS root f/s.
	changing root devide to wd0a
	error 6: panic: cannot mount root (2)

I have tried specifying the boot device as '0:sd(0,a)/kernel -s' (and
several variations), but that doesn't seem to help.  It decompresses the
kernel, so I am pretty sure it is finding it OK.

So, any hints as to why it is doing this?  And how to fix it?

Unfortunately, I don't have a working FreeBSD system (yet) to be able to go
poking around on to find it.

Thanks,

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?  Please read this first:
<http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                  Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com          <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;