Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2013 00:01:53 -0500
From:      "Isaac (.ike) Levy" <ike@blackskyresearch.net>
To:        other@ahhyes.net
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building with "CLANG"

Hi Guys,

I can't bring myself to top-post on a BSD list,=20

And I'm in a particularly verbose mood as I debug an unrelated nasty =
mess,

On Jan 14, 2013, at 9:30 PM, other@ahhyes.net wrote:

>=20
>=20
> Hi Alexus,=20
>=20
> I could, but it's going to be time consuming. There is
> almost no clues (even with a google search) on what this option does. =
> am waiting to know if I can safely keep going the way I am and not =
have
> any serious problems. I updated the base OS ok, I just reinstalled =
world
> for one of my jails and ran mergemaster also to update it. Didn't have
> any major issues however I noticed the NO_FSCHG=3D business in the
> article.=20
>=20
> Would be nice if someone could document what the hell
> NO_FSCHG=3D does..=20
>=20

In-deed!

--
Deal is, after groking some source, I *believe* this signals clang not =
to set particular files with the immutable 'schg' flag when installing =

Please try following up with the page author.
(Perhaps jump in the Clang IRC channel listed on the page, and try to =
ask the wiki page author?)

--
If I am correct:
I've not been down the clang jails path yet, (exciting!), but I'm =

The old days with jail:
/rm -rf /path/to/jail/dir
- This would fail without first recursively un-setting the schg =
immutable flags on files in the filesystem.
(UNIX newbs hit list, make new friends, and learn the power of =
chflags(1))

So, NO_FSCHG is either extremely convenient, or extremely dangerous- =
depending on what kind of packets reach your jailed interface=85

Why does this matter with jail(8)?

With this convenience, much (if not all) of the functionally of the '-s' =
flag in jail(8) is lost !

     -s securelevel

	     Set the kern.securelevel MIB entry to the specified value =
inside
	     the newly created jail.  This is deprecated and is =
equivalent to
	     setting the securelevel parameter.

--
This fun, goes way back, =
http://seann.herdejurgen.com/resume/samag.com/html/v10/i05/a4.htm

Basically, one could fork bomb the machine, rendering all jailed systems =
useless- and BSD Secure Levels + login.conf in the jails were the =
ultimate fix.

Except back then, we didn't have the -s flag, (had to reboot a machine =
into a higher secure level to get this kind of protection, pretty =
inflexible, so it was rarely applied).

Rocket-
.ike
=20