Date:      13 Feb 2002 09:24:34 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@molemanarmy.com>
To:        J.S. <johann@broadpark.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -ATTENTION- Worthy Security Applications -DEBATE-

J.S. <johann@broadpark.no> writes:

> Does FreeBSD have an equivalent to grsecurity (http://www.grsecurity.net)?
>
> And for system security tools, I am currently giving AIDE and SNORT a try.
> I was hoping, if possible, that someone could come with a better
> suggestion.
>
> Let's engage in a _REAL_ debate here. All of you who read this e-mail:
> don't be shy. ENTER. What applications within /usr/ports/security are
> accepted and refused by the FreeBSD community as worthy components for
> system security?

Ok, </me don's flame proof suit>

Firstly, if you're truly interested in providing proper security, you
either won't build things from ports, or you'll manually check all of
the patches that are applied before the application is built and that
the application source is downloaded from an authorititave source and
checksums match.

As for actually providing security, things like snort and aide play a
part in that, but are not a silver bullet. Security is a process and a
combination of applications and procedures. All of the applications in
the world are useless unless you monitor their logs and pay attention
to what they tell you.

Implement a 'be conservative in what you accept' policy. This means
that you should only accept access from users to services you want to
provide, from certain locations. With some things like the web, this
will be from all locations, but for a lot of other things you just
DON'T provide public access. By public, I mean people within your
organisation as well. At the moment, a rising percentage of
penetration attempts and computer crime comes from inside the
organisation and often isn't protected against.

Implement a multi layered security solution. If you just trust to one
solution and it breaks, 'they' own you. So go for ipfw / ipfilter, tcp
wrappers on services in inetd, something like snort for an IDS and
something like AIDE for file integrity and to detect tampering. Back
that up with restrictive file permissions on the machine to ensure
that local users can't get to services and files that they
shouldn't. Add to that restrictions on what files can run set-uid to
lower options for escalation of privilege attacks.

Standardise on software and versions of that software if you can. It
makes rolling out new machines easy. It also makes it easy to upgrade
a package across all machines.

Make sure that you subscribe to lists like the freebsd security
announcements lists, bugtraq, and for what it is worth, CERT. Follow
these lists, read the alerts and patch as soon as you see something
that affects you.

Campaign to your local ISP to stop them allowing faked packets onto
their network. They should only allow packets with addresses
registered to the customer site through the customers router. If I
have 192.168.1.0/24 as my IP range, my ISP should NOT route packets
with a source address of 10.0.0.1/8 coming from my router. They should
drop the packets and issue me with a violation of T&C's warning.

And for a personal rant... Don't use portsentry and similar apps. Why
provide resources on one of your machines that you don't need to? Why
provide bells on a wire when you can just go for barbed wire and
machine gun turrets?  From personal experience and the experiences of
other people I have teamed with on security projects, portsentry is a
waste of time. You spend half your life chasing automated scr1p7
k1dd13 scans that you're patched against. Just drop the packets on the
floor and have done. Of course, none of this applies if you want to
see what kind of things are being thrown at you. Then by all means run
portsentry, but prepare to be VERY busy.

Hope that helps. Flame away.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
freebsd@molemanarmy.com          | only stupid people.