Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:25:59 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        G-der <gder@gder.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf - duplicate entries in logs

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 10:31:50AM -0700, G-der wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:55:10PM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >
> > *.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err;daemon.warning /var/log/messages
>
> Great, this seems to have worked like a charm.  I was worried that the *.notice would
> have a higher priority than the daemon.warning (aka I would continue to receive
> daemon.notice messages) but that is apparently not the case.
>
> The man page is right:
>
> "The effects of multiple selectors are sometimes not intuitive."
>
> But thanks for the help - it looks like it's working the way I want it.

The syslog.conf(8) manpage also says,

    "Multiple selectors may be specified for a single action by separating
     them with semicolon (``;'') characters.  It is important to note, howev-
     er, that each selector can modify the ones preceding it."

Which establishes the precedence for an action. Later selectors
overrule the previous ones. Have a look again how the default line
works. The 'mail' and 'news' entries on the default are doing the same
thing you wanted to do with 'daemon,' rasing the reporting level from
'notice.'