Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 17:32:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        akruijff@dds.nl, DavidJohnson@Siemens.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 80386 out of GENERIC

In message: <24244.1039900460@critter.freebsd.dk>
            phk@FreeBSD.ORG writes:
: >I don't feel this is a good decision. (I still have a 486, act as a
: >small server and a 286 witch is in storage) This basally means that
: >any one who doesn't have the latest processor can't install FreeBSD.
:
: No it doesn't mean that.
:
: FreeBSD still runs on all 386 family CPUs, the only difference is that
: if you want to run it on a 80386 you need to enable an option in
: your kernel config file.
:
: It will out of the box run on 486 and anything later.

One problem with most 386 boxes is that they have very little memory.
sysinstall is a big, bloated pig dog these days that takes more RAM
than most 386 boxes have.  This is true also for many 486 boxes too.
So even if 386 stuff were in the default kernel, you'd likely have
other issues in making sysinstall work and have to do custom
hacking...

Warner