Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:33:57 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SysV- (Unixware-) Emulation of FBSD-V :-)

In the last episode (Aug 21), Matthias Schuendehuette said:
> I want to use FreeBSD-5.1 as a replacement for our Linux-Server...
> The only problem is backup.
>
> We're using HP OmniBack/DataProtector, which has no native FreeBSD
> client but Linux, Unixware and SCO OpenServer clients. I got the
> linux-client (sort of) working, but the chrooted environment is less
> than ideal for a backup client.
>
> What is the current status of SysV-Emulation on 5.1 or -current? I
> heard it's working without a chrooted environment, right? Chances to
> get a daemon-process, which accesses network and filesystem, running?
> Do I need any additional libraries?

All the platform emulation layers use a virtual root, since they need
to be able to provide native libraries and binaries.  It's not a real
chroot, since any directory that don't exist in /compat/abi/
automatically put you in the real directory.

Two solutions come to mind.  you can either export all your filesystems
and back them up over NFS from another Linux server, or you can use
null mounts to put your FreeBSD filesystems into the Linux virtual
root.  For example:

/dev/da0s1a	/       ufs     rw     1 1
/dev/da0s1e	/var    ufs     rw     1 2
/dev/da0s1f	/usr    ufs     rw     1 2
/		/compat/linux/bsdroot null rw 0 0
/var		/compat/linux/bsdroot/var null rw 0 0
/usr		/compat/linux/bsdroot/usr null rw 0 0

.. should allow to you back up your FreeBSD filesystems by backing up
"/bsdroot" in your backup program.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com