Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:53:55 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What do i need to use X remotely?

--==_Exmh_-942643996P

If memory serves me right, Sean Harding wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Numard (Norberto Meijome) wrote:
>
> > I'm also using Linux here, so i was thinking how could i export the
> > DISPLAY to my Linux (from X-progs. in FreeBSD, such as X-emacs,etc).
>
> You really should use Secure Shell (ssh) for this sort of thing, rather
> than telnet. And it handles all of the x-forwarding issues for you. No
> need to play with environment variables and xhost.

Good point.  (BTW, dxpc, which I mentioned in another message, can be
tunnelled over ssh, but I digress.)  ssh also Does The Right Thing (TM) with
.Xauthority.

If you use ssh for X Windows forwarding in a low-bandwidth environment, think
about turning on compression with -o "Compression yes" or twiddling the
appropriate line in ssh_config.  <handwaving>It might not do quite as good a
job as dxpc</handwaving>, but it's easier to set up for a new user.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-942643996P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNazQkqjOOi0j7CY9AQHOpQP/Tv+Ey6ef56DrBg2AINUepK6oFdeLH2fk
MY62VTpIYHSmYHl3imJ0Ioyg3VQbNiYu6rV5HEV6HGvQ2OqJvEUUFw4/UpcgBijS
J7FkZu0nOXVMzH5KflOfm/5y1wzonnl3zytbvtkzp0wCZaZDhMG2wPGw0qx4LqJ6
+D7hfWJYumY=
=ZSSR
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-942643996P--