Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 17:18:01 +0200
From:      Dang-Ngoc TUYET-TRAM <Dang-Ngoc.Tuyet-Tram@prism.uvsq.fr>
To:        freeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   building a kernel for different machine

Hello,

Well I thing I'm going to ask stupid questions so please don't
flame me to much ok ?

Suppose I have 3 computers with the following characteristic

A : bi-pentium pro with FreeBSD3.0 (19980520)
B : 486 with FreeBSD2.2.6
C : cyrix with FreeBSD2.2.6

A and C work pretty well, and FreeBSD2.2.6 is installed on
B but the kernel cannot be rebuild because there is not enough
disk space on it (I must absolutely rebuild the kernel because my
NE2000 clone ethernet card cannot work without rebuilding the kernel,
right ?) . Can I build the kernel using the parameters of B
on machine C and then copy it to B via a Floppy disk ?
And if I build the kernel on machine A and copy it to B witout
reinstalling other components, will I have B under FreeBSD3.0 ?
or won't just it work ?

For installing FreeBSD3.0 on machine A, I've installed 2.2.6,
then I had just copy the 3.0 source on A and rebuild. It seems
to work on A (never had a problem until now) and SMP works well.
But was that the right way to do, or will I get into troubles later ?

A last stupid question : building a kernel of another machine
on a different machine as I describe above, is that what it is called
"cross-compiling" ? Or am I mixing everything ?

Thanks a lot,

Tuyet Tram DANG NGOC
--
dntt@prism.uvsq.fr
Universite de Versailles

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. - Isaac Asimov