Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:04:30 -0500
From:      Sean Michael Whipkey <highway@cstone.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Good times" `virus' now a real possibility...

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thursday, 11 November 1999 at  9:16:05 +1300, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> > Check out:
> >
> >     http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9911/09/seinfeld.virus.ap/index.html
> >
> > Looks like the "Good Times" virus is now a definite possiblity, thanks
> > to Microsoft.
>
> Right, I heard that on the news this morning.  Does anybody know how
> it works?  Does anybody have one they can send me?

There was a discussion on this at the USENIX Security Symposium in
August in DC.

Basically, Outlook uses IE to view certain types of mail.  It's possible
to use Visual Basic and/or ActiveX to force Internet Explorer to execute
arbitrary commands on the receiving computer - simply by viewing the
HTML that the e-mail is written in.

There are ways to disable it, but they're rather obscure at times.  Joe
Average-User won't know to do it.

Makes me glad I'm out of tech support. :-)

SeanMike

--
Sean Michael Whipkey - highway@cstone.net - www.cstone.net
Engineering Department, Cornerstone Networks, Inc. - 804.817.7000