Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 20:32:40 PDT
From:      "lweb Lightningweb" <lightningweb@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        greg@lightningweb.com, jeremy@lightningweb.com, keith@lightningweb.com, criter@lightningweb.com
Subject:   continued crashes with 3.1-Stable

We have not resolved our problem with frequent freezes with our web server.
We had two responses to our first mail to this list, but neither one was the
solution.  The problem is that the server will stop responding to ANYTHING
except pings.  No telnet, no ssh, no web, no ftp, nothing.  Open telnet
sessions don't drop, there's just no response to keyboard activity.

One suggestion was to fix the "pthreads library," whic we did.  The other
was: "You may have hardware problems."

This server is going down more frequently.  Three times so far today.  There
is no apparant pattern to the crashes.  They seem to happen most often
during an Mysql database query, but it's happened many times without any
queries (a few times just by running "pine" with a large mailbox file).

We cannot recreate the crash when we want, it just crashes at random times.
We've tried hammering it with web, database queries, and benchamrking
programs that slam the RAID array and memory and processors, but it chuggs
right along.

We have replaced drives in the RAID array, we are now replacing drive
caddies.  Next step I think will be the RAID controller.  I have a strong
gut feeling that it is software however.  There's nothing to substantiate
this, except that that more often than not, the crash happens during an
MySQL query.

Some (NOT ALL) of the suspect errors that we've recorded from the console
during a crash are:

(da0:dpt0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
biodone: buffer already done
spec_getpages: I/O read failure: (error code=6)
               size: 32768, resid: 32768, a_count: 32768, valid: 0x0
               nread: 0, reqpage: 0, pindex: 0, pcount: 8

Everyone please take a second look at this and help us brainstorm the
problem?  I am including a list of the hardware, the original message we
sent to the list, and a recent dmesg:

FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE #1
Dual-Proc PII 450
512MB RAM
DPT PM334UW RAID controller
- 16MB RAM
- dual bus Ultra Wide
- Six 9.1GB Quantum VikingII SCSI3 U2W drives
- Three drives per bus, RAID5, one drive is hot-spare
Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet
TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6201TA

--------------
I've recently had the job of system administration dumped in my lap.  I'm
looking forward to getting on top of it, but I'm a little behind the 8-ball
right now.  If my subject matter varies too far from the allowed context of
this list, please don't flame me too badly.

Background:  We are running a dual PII 450 system with a 45 gig raid array,
controlled by a DPT PM334.

The O/S: FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE #1

For several months this has been rock solid.  However, in the past three
weeks, we've had a number of crashes, most of which seem to be related to
mysql queries.  The system would be totally unresponsive to ssh/telnet and
web, but would still return pings.

The server is colocated at our ISP, so it's been tricky to track down the
exact 'on screen' console errors.  Today, shortly after we upgraded our
mysql version, I did see the error.

(da0:dpt0:0:0:0): Invalidating Pack
(da0:dpt0:0:0:0): Invalidating Pack
devstat_end_transaction: HELP!! busy_count for da0 is < 0 (-1)!
biodone: buffer already done
(da0:dpt0:0:0:0): Read  (10). CDB: 28 0 3 87 33 1f 0 0 80 0
(da0:dpt0:0:0:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0
(da0:dpt0:0:0:0): Invalid command operation code
devstat_end_transaction: HELP!! busy_count for da0 is < 0 (-1)!
biodone: buffer already done

Followed by a complete system freeze, including the console.

Some hunting and searching has led us to believe that we are encountering a
driver failure and that we should bring the OS back to -stable.

As I said, I haven't done this before, so I'm a little anxious.  Before I
take that step, I would be very greatful to hear some input from those who
surely know more about this than I do.

Is bringing the system back to -stable likely to correct our problem?  Am I
missing some indicator in the error above?   Has someone else encountered
similar trouble (and found a fix?)

I'll be happy to take replies in private e-mail if this is off topic.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jeremy