Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 17:13:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        "James A. Mutter" <jm7996@devrycols.edu>, GVB <gvbmail@tns.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We are a growing ISP, need some advice!

:> At 08:51 AM 5/12/99 -0700, GVB wrote:

[snip]

:> Why is this a problem?  It's perfectly normal for FreeBSD to use swap, even
:> when the machine is under a light load.  I've seen mail servers with a load
:> average > 10 using more swap than you have RAM and they're just fine.
:> Remember, it's a only a mail server.  I don't think that speed is something
:> to be terribly concerned about.
:
:speed is always important.  mail + swap is ok (sometimes) web + swap is
:bad, it quickly leads to a cascading problem where the box goes to hell.
:
:generally seeing no swappage is best, and perhaps some at peak load,
:when you're taking care of customers swap is your indication that
:you've waited _too long_ for an upgrade.

:> >I have read up on doing round robin DNS with the Web Servers, but never
:> >really understood how the disks are synched up, does it run on NFS with one
:> >machine serving the content?
:> >
:> >How about scaling the mail servers?  Where can I read up on setting up
:> >multiple mail/pop3 servers?  What is the best solution to do this.
:>
:> Why?  Again, your machines are doing just fine.  Save your money for
:> additional phone lines/bandwidth/advertising/etc...  You really don't need
:> a HW upgrade at this point.
:
:James, did you work for AOL a few years back? :)

No, and I resent the implication.

:I don't think he really needs to cluster yet, getting a 3.1-stable box
:up and running with dual PII or Xeon and about 512 or 1 gig or ram
:would probably be much better.
:
:Think about it, you have a 233mhz system, by going dual 400/500mhz
:processor you get about an 4x factor added to your capacity.

Alfred, do you work for Microsoft now? :)

I think a dual 400/500 as a mail server is a bit extreme, don't you?
Even as a web server, you should be more concerned with I/O here (and
I don't think dropping a P4000DX66 is going to help) than processing
power.

He said he's using SSL, I doubt it's _all_ SSL _all the time_.  Is it
reasonable to believe that every page from every site is being
encrypted?  More than likely that's _not_ the case.  It's far more
likely, as a matter of fact, that SSL pages make up a very small
percentage of the total hits.  I think it's fair to make the same
statement about the FrontPage pages.  Out of 800 VHosts, I can't
believe that _all of them_ are using SSI's.

:You definetly need more ram.  You should consider striping disks
:for more performance.

You're right there, striping disks is a good thing.  In this
particular case it could give him the extra throughput that he needs.

:The idea of NFS clustering the web servers isn't a bad one, you may want
:to investigate it.  You'll have to tune the NFS caching code though,
:FreeBSD supports gigabit ethernet now, so putting your NFS server
:on a gig-port on a switch that supports it and your other boxes behind
:it my help.
:
:-Alfred
: