Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 1998 01:10:21 -0500
From:      "Salvatore Riccio" <svrmsn@email.msn.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD-2.2.5 does not mount to my NetBSD-1.3 Server

I'm having problems installing FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE on my network at
home. The problem occurs during an NFS mount from the FreeBSD during
the installation to my server which is a NetBSD-1.3 system. I setup the
option screen using secure, debugging, media type NFS. The media type also
sets up the networking paramters, and the NIC card (ep0).

The NetBSD is running the mountd, portmap, and nfsd required for NFS. The
NetBSD can ping the FreeBSD, and also when I use the showmount command it
displays that the FreeBSD has mounted itself to the proper directory. My
/etc/exports file contains the line;

/export -alldirs

The alt-f2 screen on the FreeBSD shows the mount coomand used
mount_nfs -P [IP-ADDR]:/export  /dist. After a long time the mount_nfs
command fails which NFS Server not responding.

A third system running NetBSD-1.3 can mount without any problems to
the NetBSD server using the same  exact mount_nfs command.

I've tried various options on the NetBSD Server
    1. Run the mountd with -n oprtion
    2. put -maproot:=root in /etc/exports
and also looked in the FAQ for FreeBSD and NetBSD.

I should also mention that I successfully installed FreeBSD at work which
contains an extensive network of Sun based machines.

Can you help me with my NFS mounting problem

                                Sincerely
                    Salvatore Riccio, svrmsn@msn.com