Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 16:56:22 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        greg@gcsl.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADAPTEC 3940UW (IS ANYONE THERE ?)

Greg Bedrossian wrote:

> This email has been sent 3 or 4 time with no response. Is it too
> advanced for everyone ?
>
> Here is it AGAIN.

Repeating yourself is only going to get other people annoyed :-( - You have
to remember a lot of people who use this list are in the US or other far
parts of the world - therefore it goes a bit quiet during some parts of the
'day' for other people...

> Greetings,
>
> I've just built a server with an Adaptec 3940UW controller which I know
> is supported by FreeBSD 2.2.6 but I can not find the driver for this
> controller in the kernel when I first try to install BSD.
>
>                 Any ideas anyone ?

If you look at /sys/i386/conf/LINT, there are some lines in there that say:-

(granted you may not be able to do that if you've not installed the system
yet ;-)

#
# The `ahc' device provides support for the Adaptec 29/3940(U)(W)
# and motherboard based AIC7870/AIC7880 adapters.
#

So I'd imagine it's the 'ahc' driver that you need... Which I also believe
is compiled into the GENERIC kernel that ships with 2.2.6 - so if your
system isn't finding it, theres something else wrong... The 3940UW isn't
behind a PCI->PCI bridge or something is it? (i.e. how many PCI slots does
your server have?)

Try looking through the messages as the kernel boots - see if it mentions
anything about 'ahc' devices etc.

Regards,

Karl Pielorz