Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 13:16:10 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mark Lederer" <lederer@mac.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Can Freebsd integrate with NT in a large corporation?

Others will certainly tell you the technical specifics and I myself
wrote a book on running FreeBSD on Windows networks.  But let me address
myself to the politics of the situation - because this is the real problem
you will face, not the technical arraingements.

For starters, I find it hard to belive that BP is spending a half billion
dollars a year on IT expenses - that's $10K per employee.  I think that
what is going on is that the actual expenses are much lower, and the IT
budget is being inflated by adding a bunch of unrelated things into it -
like telco.  For example if you threw all WAN connectivity and long distance
billing into the mix they you might approach $10K per employee.  However,
no matter whether you use Wintel or UNIX for your networking infrastructure,
those WAN and Telco costs are going to be the same.

So my question would be: first of all, why is this half-billion inflated
figure
being tossed around?  I speculate that it's a red flag that's designed to
provoke a response from the upper management - typically who don't know
diddly squat about IT infrastructure.  What is probably going on is that
the top IT person, CIO, is unhappy with the lack of control he or she has
over the internal BP IT infrastructure and has concocted this figure in
order to incite the CEO to give him or her far more authority over IT
infrastructure - such as just telling all you engineers that you have to
switch over to Windows and dump UNIX.  Right now if he or she tried that
all you engineers would band together and complain to the CEO and you would
succeed in checkmating her or him.  If she or he can sufficiently incite the
CEO to belive that there's a problem then they can get God authority to
reduce expenses despite the complaints.  I mean, after all it's not like
an oil company like BP is in any danger of going out of business!

I think if you took a look at the IT budget and sliced out all the fixed
costs that are not changable - like Telco - that you would find that BP's
IT infrastructure costs are not out of line with those of any other large
company.

So, what should your response be to this?  Well the first thing "the
engineering community" needs to do is push back against IT and demand an
accounting of what IT costs are being attributed to your department.
Why is your department being singled out?  Is your LAN management costs
somehow higher than those of any of the other departments?

You need this data because if you ever want to have any hope of promoting
FreeBSD you have got to get a handle on what your really spending on
solutions NOW that FreeBSD could replace.  If you go into IT now and
say "We can change to FreeBSD and save X dollars" without knowing how
much money they are spending on you now, they will eat you alive because
they will just say "Switch to Windows and you can save X+5K per user"
and you will have no way of validating that figure.  You have to hold their
feet to the fire first and make them poop out a figure of how much they
think they are "losing" by you being on UNIX and not Windows.

If you haven't figured out by now what I'm talking about here is a
discussion of perception vs reality.  I can assure you that BP is a
significant customer on Microsoft's radarscope.  Their sales group will
not allow BP to switch away from Microsoft without a massive fight.
You do not know it but you very well be dealing with a CIO that has already
gone to Microsoft and told them "We are thinking of switching to
Sun/Linux/insert OS of choice here" just to see what they could get - and
Microsoft may have
already told them "We will outfit your entire engineering group with
Windows solutions for free if you agree to not switch away from us"  Far from
FreeBSD being a cost savings because it's free you may be fighting in a war of
free vs free, and the fact that FreeBSD is free makes no difference on the
cost savings equation.

Anyway, good luck.  Hopefully I've given you a glimpse into how decisions
often work in IT groups in large companies.  Remember that whatever proposal
you put together to save money that the competition will be given a chance to
meet or beat it - and they won't blink about undercutting you on price to
prevent you from getting a foothold, and they will do their best to bribe/give
gifts/otherwise influence the IT decision makers, and to cast FUD on your
proposal.  In this instance your almost better off doing a proposal to switch
the company over to Solaris - because then you can get the Sun salespeople
in to play all the dirty tricks on IT too and end up with a stalemate
that way.