Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:55:07 -0500
From:      Matthew Fuller <fullermd@linkfast.net>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@freebsd.org>, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcsh - Imported sources

[Wow, did that Cc line need trimmed...]
[This should also probably not be crossposted as it is]

On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 07:14:49PM -0400, a little birdie told me
that Jeroen C. van Gelderen remarked
> Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> >
> > I agree with everything except for this part.  The root's shell in BSD
> > has always been csh for as long as I can remember, and it will violate
> > POLA to change it now.  (This is from a person who will immediately
> > run bash in single-user mode if /usr/local is available and sh -E if
> > it is not, so don't take it as a csh crusade.)
>
> I think you have trade this against how friendly FreeBSD is perceived by
> new users. When I first touched FreeBSD I was surprised that the root
> shell was utterly useless (to me, a sh user, I'm not saying csh is
> useless) and it took me a while to figure out how to change root's
> shell.

I think the point is a far bigger portions of users are surprised by how
unfriendly and useless the root shell is.  'What, I don't have tab
completion?'  'What, I don't have <up> <down> command history and
editing?' etc.

These are, for instance, Linux users, used to bash, or tcsh, or something
similar.  They quit in disgust and go back to Linux because a simple
thing like working as root is useless because we have no decent shells.

(Note that this isn't my opinion necessarily, I always use /bin/sh for
root for various reasons, but first impressions on converts really count)

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@linkfast.net