Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:56:04 +1000
From:      Matthew Peacock <Mattp@innerrange.com.au>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Please help with linux compatibility

Hello,

I am new to FreeBSD. I am trying to get some linux programs to work under my
installation of FreeBSD but I am having some troubles.

I have already tried getting linux apps to work and have even followed
advice from others with no success. To summarise, I have already tried the
following:

*	When Installing FreeBSD I said "Yes" to the question "Would you like
to have linux compatibility". This then installed some compatibility
libraries which I assume are all the librararies that are needed.
*	After installation I checked the /usr/compat/linux/ shadow
directories and saw that there wer lots of directories that were ther. I
looked in /usr/compat/linux/lib and saw that there were lots of linux
libraries there.
*	Next I edited the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file and added
LINUX_ENABLE="YES". I thought that this was a bit strange that it said no to
start with because I had asked for linux compatibility during install.
*	I rebooted and did "kldstat". I expected to see the linux module but
I did not. I am running a recent version of FreeBSD (dated About June this
year and purchased as FreeBSD Toolkit v5). I am thinking that maybe the
linux compatibility module is now statically linked to the kernel. Is this
correct? I wasnt sure so I tried typing "linux" as the handbook advised but
it said that this module was unknown.
*	Anyway, after assuming that the linux compatibility is statically
linked, I then tried to install a few linux apps to see what would happen. I
got StarOffice3.1 to install and I got Wingz (spreadsheet) to install. When
I tried to execute these programs they both gave me the results
"/lib/libname not found" (I cant remember the exact name of the library but
it did exist in the linux shadow library directory). I realised that the
program was still looking for where linux keeps its modules. I therefore
created a /lib directory and copied the linux modules from the
/usr/compat/linux/lib directory and then tried to run the app. I got
"segmentation fault core dumped".
*	I then consulted the manual again and it said that I should put the
binaries (Wingz and swriter etc) into the /usr/compat/linux/lib directory
and run them from there. This did not work - it just said "/lib/libname not
found".

Is ther anything else I can try to get this to work? Have I made a mistake
in setting up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew Peacock